The next parent information session for new enrolments will be delivered via Collaborate Ultra on Tuesday, 9th November from 5.30 pm to 6.30 pm. A link to the session will be emailed to all parents and carers of enrolments for the new school year.
Link to BYOx parent information evening
Developing innovative ICT users, connecting to the world through technology
Contemporary learners demand seamless delivery between school and home and the school is responding to this demand by providing 24/7 access to teaching and learning materials through the Learning Place. eLearning at Cairns State High School is embedded within the whole school approach to curriculum delivery.
- especially those subjects with Curriculum to the Classroom (C2C) units which are based on the Australian Curriculum and include ICT Expectations.
Library Online provides students with access to online databases, recommended web based resources and eBook. Username: school email address, password: Cshs2005
- A number of subjects use online training modules for self-paced learning.
- Since 2016 Cairns High has all year levels bringing their own laptop to school. This is managed under the Bring Your Own "X" (BYOx) program.
- Student laptops will need to meet minimum requirements in order to be able to operate within the school's network (4Gb RAM, 128Gb storage, Windows + 5Ghz WiFi).
- In order to participate students and parents/carers are expected to sign the Student BYOx Charter (PDF, 280KB) to guarantee appropriate use of laptops whilst at school. They must also pay the Network Enhancement Fee.
- The school will present an information evening about the program and the minimum requirements for students' devices.
- The school has prepared a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document to assist parents/carers to understand how the BYOx program will operate.
Third Party websites
A range of subject areas access websites to enhance teaching and learning at our school. Some of these sites provide access to interactive learning activities, software for programming and tools for presenting information.
Students in Years 7 to 10 and some IB students will also access their textbooks via a cloud based application, ReadCloud.
Parental/guardian consent is a requirement by law under the Queensland Information Privacy Act 2009. Third party website consent forms need to be completed when students are required to create an account or provide personal information to a third party website which is any website which is accessed at school but hosted and managed outside of the Department of Education and Training (DET) network.
Cairns High Third Party websites 2022.pdf currently accessed by students at Cairns State High School have been assessed for risk by the Department of Training Internet Filtering Team and deemed to be of low and medium risk for security.
Student email accounts and Passwords
Student usernames are the first initial with the first four letters of the surname followed by a number. Student email addresses are the student's firstname.lastname@example.org.
The password is the same as used to log on to the school Wi-Fi, Web printing, school computers and the BYOx Logon connector. You can reset a known password here or all teachers can reset forgotten passwords.
Access students email here
Preparing and Connecting your BYOx
Each year in December, Current students are emailed a simple program called Prepare_4_BYO. For new Students this may happen in mid/late January (when the email accounts are setup).
If you have purchased a new Windows device please turn off S Mode before beginning the BYOx process.
Turn off S Mode for Windows 10
Turn off S Mode for Windows 11
Students can check their webmail here. This program will help them to
- Create a correctly named user account (Surname_FirstName),
- Name their computer (with their MIS ID).
The Student Checklist
is a guide for parents and students to get information on what to do before bringing the device to school. The students can download the installer for the BYOx Logon Connector
(after logging in).
Installing Microsoft Office
- Visit the student Webmail
- Click on Office 365, then click on Install Office
For further info you can go to this website for the information and links to download and install (here is a step by step guide
to help you).
Installing ReadCloud (Online Textbooks)
Visit this website and download the correct installer for your operating System.
On site support
- Students are welcome to visit the help IT desktop before and after school and during lunch breaks for extra assistance.
- During Business hours, phone 4050 3077
***Do you need extra support setting up your laptop?***
Parents are welcome to make an appointment with the school IT Support team by emailing ComputerTech@cairnsshs.eq.edu.au
Students at Cairns High are encouraged to use technology as an effective tool in their learning and education. We promote the responsible use of the digital device and recommend the use of the CyberSmart website for information on the safe use of technology.
Financial Hardship and Laptops Under Repair
We understand that for some families a laptop may be too expensive or occasions when a student laptop may be under repair. Our school can provide day loan laptops, please contact the Head of Learning Resources for further information.
Lyndell Sellars | Head of Learning Resources | T 4050 3076 | E email@example.com