An expanded list of health, support and community resources are at the bottom of this page.
We can do things that will reduce the chances of us spreading the virus. That means we can break these chains and potentially stop hundreds or even thousands of people getting Covid-19.
Keeping connected with school
If you or anyone you know needs help
Sick or quarantined Queenslanders who need food or medicine can ring a new government hotline for help. The State Government has set up a Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 for people who are self-quarantined for COVID-19 on medical advice but cannot access essential food and medication.
If you have symptoms of COVID-19 (coronavirus):
- Check your symptoms on Health Direct
- Phone the Coronavirus Health Info Line 1800 020 080 (Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- If you are deaf or have a hearing/speech impairment, you can use the National Relay Service via its website: www.communications.gov.au or call 1300 555 727
- If you need translation and/or interpretation support, these services are offered by the Australian Government on Department of Home Affairs website
- Book a free online video consultation with a registered Australian GP via Telehealth Doctor NQ https://www.telehealthdoctornq.com.au/
- Contact your GP or local hospital but call ahead as there may be extra steps you/they need to take.
The new Cairns Local Coronavirus Hotline provides information, advice and support for residents. The hotline is a contact point for vulnerable people who require care packages or other assistance. The hotline is based in Cairns so you will speak to a person in Cairns with local knowledge.
- Open 8am to 5pm, every day.
- Phone 1300 396 102 – free call
Free on-line training – COVID-19 Infection Control
The Australian Government Department of Health is offering free on-line training – COVID-19 Infection Control for care workers across all health care settings including the disability sector. The stated duration is 30 minutes and the training covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control for COVID-19
- COVID-19 – what is it?
- Signs and symptoms
- Keeping safe – protecting yourself/others
- Myth busting
For more info and to register, visit:
Mental health /wellbeing support
As the number of coronavirus cases rise across Australia, the level of anxiety within the community is increasing.
Feelings of worry and unease can be expected following a stressful event, such as the recent declaration of a global pandemic, however, it is important that we learn to manage our stress before it turns to more severe anxiety and panic.
- Money Smart - Help with debt and bills
- National Debt Helpline
Phone: 1800 007 007
- Salvation Army Money Care Service
Phone: 4755 4716
- Rental support: https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/renting/rent-assistance/bond-loan/covid19-rental-grant
Further information is by calling 1800 497161
This goes to the RTA but is a special call number. They will have to fill in the form first from the link above anyway
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- you live in Queensland
- you have, or will shortly have, a tenancy agreement registered with the Residential Tenancies Authority
- you are an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or have a temporary or permanent protection visa or possess a bridging visa
- you do not have more than $10,000 in cash and savings
- you can provide evidence of attempts to negotiate a payment plan with your lessor
- you have lost your job and have applied to Centrelink for income support
- you are waiting for your application with Centrelink to be approved.
You must fill in a form.
From Sunday, 5th April, the Australian Ballet's free cinema-quality digital season brings full-length performances to Australians at home.
Their gift to us all.
Ballet is powerful magic. It can draw you out of your lounge room and into forests and castles and starry skies. It can make you forget your worries and feel the freedom and exhilaration of unbridled leaps and lifts. Throughout its centuries of history, ballet has always offered the most wonderful escape from troubled times, and even though our theatres are closed, we want to offer you that gift.