Beyond the classroom
State High School offers students vast opportunities to involve themselves in
co-curricular activities and to enhance their educational experiences. There is
a busy year-round calendar of special events which is facilitated by committed
staff and students. Participation in such activities brings increased
self-esteem and confidence, and the satisfaction of working successfully in a
- Rotary Public Speaking;
- Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader;
- The great Pi recital;
- Maths Team Challenge;
- Spelling Bee competition;
- National Competitions – English, Science, Mathematics, Computer Skills;
- Science Engineering Challenge;
- JCU Titration competition;
- Constitutional Convention and Youth Parliament;
- Business Liaison Association Awards & Expos.
- School Musicals;
- Instrumental Fanfare;
- Choral Fanfare;
- Class Clown competition;
- Improvisation Comedy night;
- Cairns & District Junior Eisteddfod;
Outstanding Students (MOST) program:
- Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Art;
- CAD Fashion Parade;
- Reach Visual Arts: Excellence awards;
- Music Evenings;
- Dance Evening;
- Drama Evening;
- Arts Sydney Tour (2018);
- Community Performances; and
- Master Classes.
The school maintains a number of gallery spaces to showcase student creative works.
Community Service Activities
- ANZAC Parades;
- ANZAC Day Dawn service (War graves and Esplanade), Ecumenical Service
- Remembrance Day Ceremonies;
- National Day of Action against Violence and Bullying at Parramatta SS
- Formal Parades.
Fundraising for Charities
- Friends of Himalayan Children: Library for Batase
- Queensland Cancer
- Jeans for Genes Day;
- Salvation Army Red Shield Appeal;
- 40 hour Famine;
- World’s Greatest Shave;
- Daffodil Day and local
- Senior Camp;
- Junior Dance;
- Helping Friends;
- Rock and Water Mentoring Programs.
- Scripture Union in School/Chaplaincy
- Yoga Meditation.
State High School hosts a strong sporting program including:
- The whole school Inter-House
Swimming Carnival at Tobruk Pool;
- A Cross County event at the esplanade; and
- The annual whole school Athletics Carnival at Barlow Park.
Semester One, Senior students have the opportunity to participate in various sports
through the Cairns Interschool Sports Association (CISSA) competition.
In Semester Two, students in Year 9 (and 8 and 7) engage in Junior Secondary Sport.
the year students may also participate in the Trinity Coast North (TCN) Trials
for selection in Peninsula and consequently State and National teams /
Additionally, the school fields teams in a variety of
- the Bill Turner Cup and Bill Turner trophy Under 15 Inter-School Soccer
- Cairns Futsal championships;
- AFL boys and girls gala days;
- the Surf Life Saving Challenge;
- the Cowboys Rugby League Schools
- Cairns District Schoolboys Rugby Union Competition;
- Inter-School Hockey Competition;
- The Vicki Wilson Inter-School Netball
- The Cairns Basketball Junior Competition;
- The Champion Basketball
School of Queensland Competition; and
- National Basketball Schools Tournament.
trips are an important part of the school calendar, especially for Year 12
students and students involved in the Languages Other Than English (LOTE)
12 students participate in an annual skiing trip to New Zealand in the
LOTE students visit Japan in alternate years and are hosted by Cairns’ sister
High has a twin schools’ partnership with the Convitto Nazionale “Paolo
Diacono” School in North East Italy. There is an organised school trip to the
sister school for IB Italian students each year.
students of Senior Japanese are offered an opportunity to win the Japan Travel
scholarship, with the successful student traveling to Japan for a 4-6 week
period over the summer vacation break.
- Check all the information about our outbound study tours available to Cairns State High students.