Cairns State High School is proud of its diverse array of state of the art facilities it provides for its students, staff and the school community. The school is proactive about advocating for the benefit of our students and accordingly we are constantly working to improve the facilities that students, staff and parents can access.
Cairns State High School is proud of its diverse array of state of the art facilities it provides for its students, staff and the school community.
Our current facilities include the following:
- Auditorium - which seats 150 people and includes two purpose built science
- Crosswell Hall - a venue for year level assemblies, formal ceremonies, parent
meetings with a seating capacity of 750.
- The Library - with flexible learning areas, broadband wireless
connection and laptops for student use.
- Performing Arts Block - allows delivery of quality programs in Music, Dance, Multi
Media, Digital Art and Film and Television.
- Sports Complex - a multi-purpose indoor and outdoor facility sporting facility catering for international standard competition and training for excellence programs.
- Various shaded and non-shaded seating
areas around the school offer space for students to congregate during breaks.
- The Senior Memorial Area - built in 1996 in memory of students killed
in the 1987 Cairns High bus crash, forms an important part of school history
and tradition and is a designated Senior Student Area.
- Extensive lawn areas, paved and shaded areas as well as established
garden beds including MacKenzie Walk commemorated in our centenary year to remember the contribution of Mr Bernie MacKenzie, past Principal of the school from 1979-1999.
- 8 Computer Laboratories including a dedicated Robotics Facility and
additional mobile suites of laptops including 3 dedicated Macintosh Computer Labs.
- 9 Science Laboratories, of which 6 are currently being refurbished and upgraded.
- Resource room for large scale digital printing.
- 5 dedicated Art rooms including a kiln room for ceramics.
- Photography room and a fully equipped photographic dark room.
- 11 Practical Arts rooms for furnishing, engineering, industrial design
and technology hospitality/catering practices and textile studies.
- A Student Services Hub for students to manage attendance, assignments and also receive first aid treatment from our Sick Bay Supervisor.
- A Canteen - with outside catering capacity. A refurbishment was completed in early 2016 to cater for the increase in number of students. It is now a self-service operation.
Upcoming Facilities Projects
Cairns State High School is proactive about advocating for the benefit of our students and accordingly we are constantly working to improve the facilities that students, staff and parents can access.
The school is currently planning towards the following facilities and infrastructure projects:
- Upgrade of the Wireless Access Network at the school to increase internet speed and accessibility throughout the school grounds. These works are anticipated to be completed in 2019.
- Design and Construct of a 3 court multi-purpose sports complex, with capacity to be used as a performance and also auditorium space for school and community use. This will include some relocation of existing buildings and also the sports oval as well. Project budget is a funding commitment by the State Government and the project is anticipated to commence in July 2019 and be completed in late 2020.
- Landscaping Funding of $1,000,000 is to be received in conjunction with the Sports Complex build to provide decking and improved outdoor seating and undercover spaces around the new hall and existing swimming pool.
- Ongoing classroom and staffroom refurbishments including replacement of classroom furniture from school maintenance funding. Over the past 5 years this project has resulted in greatly improved facilities for students and staff across the school community.
- Ongoing airconditioning rectification projects per annum in conjunction with the Regional Infrastructure Team to deliver cost effective and efficient airconditioning for students and staff.