When a student enrols with us, the Junior (7, 8), Intermediate (9,10) and Senior (11, 12) curriculum provide multiple opportunities to explore Internationalism by studying concepts such as Global citizenship, Social justice, Sustainability and Human rights throughout the school:
- Global citizenship embedded in Junior and Intermediate and the new QCAA Queensland Certificate of Education Senior Curriculum
- Learning languages (Italian, Mandarin, Japanese) at school and in the community (Spanish, German)
English language support and tutorials for International students.
Co-Curricular and community opportunities add to the experience available in classrooms. Students enjoy world cultures and languages by celebrating diversity, engaging in a range of activities and interacting with a range of people:
- International Week celebrations
- International Student Program hosts up to 100 students at any one time who study programs offered by the school
- Cultural events, e.g. Chinese New Year, NAIDOC
- Events respecting First Nations peoples in Australia and across the world
- Extension opportunities with Language Perfect
- Cairns Sister City relationship Japan
- Visiting groups of Chinese, Japanese and European students; and
- Cultural excursions and incursions in the local environs.
Opportunities provided to our young people bring the world even closer:
- Sister School in Cividale del Friuli, Italy study tour
- Study Tours to Japan and New Zealand
- Local and international service projects: Libraries Without Borders, for the Batase village in Nepal
- Regular tours to New Hope Cambodia
- Student leadership
- JCU Young Language Ambassador and Language Champions programs
- Support for the Cairns organisation: Take on Nepal
- Partnership with Confucius Institute Queensland and Hanban China
- Student participation in a range of exchange programs
- Engagement with Asia Education Foundation
- Scholarship programs and cultural competitions.
The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child (Child friendly version) and the Australian Human Right's Commission (Children's Rights) underpin the commitment of all stakeholders at Cairns State High School.
The Department of Education and Training trading as Education Queensland International (EQI) CRICOS Provider Number 00608A
Christopher Zilm, Executive Principal
Strategic Leadership | T 4050 3001 | E email@example.com