Cairns High offers a range of extra-curricular sporting opportunities. These events range from school carnivals to inter-school sporting competitions, national team based competitions and the district (TCC) and regional (Peninsula) sport trials.
The school has a fantastic range of facilities to utilise including our oval, synthetic rubber based turf and our indoor sporting complex with sprung wooden floor and weights room facilities.
The goal is to provide varied opportunities to allow all students to find an interest area and become involved in regular physical activity. We also provide a platform for students looking to compete against other schools and for our elite athletes, an opportunity to access representative sport at a higher level.
School Events and Activities
- Inter-House Swimming Carnival
- Inter-House Cross Country
- Inter-House Athletics Carnival
- Lunchtime sport
- Staff v. Students sport
- Indigenous Sports (NAIDOC)
- World Cup Soccer (International Week)
- Year 10 Physical Activity Program
- CISSA Interschool Sport (Year 10, 11 & 12s)
- JSS Interschool sport (Year 7, 8 & 9s)
It is our objective to encourage excellence in all sporting activities. The staff of Cairns State High fully support Representative sport opportunities for students from Year 7-12.
The TCC District Chair and Treasurer are occupied by Cairns State High Executive Principal and HOD Sport. Many staff coach manage or officiate at TCC District, Peninsula Region and Queensland state levels.
Students wishing to trial for TCC district must have the TCC consent, Peninsula project consent and Peninsula consent forms all completed and signed off ready to hand in at the TCC District trial. These forms are available on the links on the right.
- TCC Sport Trials for all sports
- Peninsula Sport Trials for all sports
- State Championships for all sports for Peninsula representatives
- National level representative competition
- TCC Carnivals for Swimming, Cross Country and Athletics.
- Peninsula Carnivals for Swimming, Cross Country and Athletics.
Invitational and Carnival Sport (boys and girls)
- AFL Schools Cup
- Cairns Futsal Carnival
- Bill Turner Cup (Boys) and Bill Turner Trophy (Girls) National Under 15 Soccer competition
- Vicki Wilson Netball (senior and junior). National Competition for school based teams
- Volleyball boys and girls Inter-School competition
- Tennis, Cricket, Equestrian, Ten-Pin Bowling, Table Tennis Interschool Competitions (depending on student interest)
Geoff Mayes l Head of Sport l T 4050 3020 l E firstname.lastname@example.org