Catering for diversity by embracing inclusivity
Cairns State High is an inclusive school which values the diverse range of students which make up our community. The Centre for Diverse Learning provides students with a disability the required support to participate in the school curriculum and wider community to enable each student to achieve his or her potential.
We support students with a range of disabilities and their needs arising from disability. Each student’s learning is addressed through collaborative approaches, individualised learning plans and differentiation practices. Our service is multidisciplinary through the provision of special education teachers, teacher aides, and access to speech pathologist, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and advisory teachers through Education Queensland student support programs.
Learning need identification
- Strong parent, student and school collaborative planning
- Diagnostic assessment
- Identifying student strengths and how they like to engage in learning to maximise participation and potential
- Identifying student needs to tailor learning to increase participation and address specific skill development in response to disability
- Individual Learning Plans, targeted intervention and teacher adjustment
Programs and support
- Tutorial assistance
- Literacy and numeracy intervention
- Access to learning for subjects at appropriate level for each student and in an age appropriate context
- Communication and social skills support
- Social/emotional behavioural support
- In-class support
- Collaborative teaching and consultancy
- Transition planning
We have a strong commitment to using technology to break down the barriers to access learning and communication. Technology allows students to demonstrate what they know through alternative modes of learning and communicate more effectively. We make every effort to stay current with assistive technology practices and use devices and specific software designed for students who learn differently.
Our effective transition planning practices ensure parent and student aspirations are central to prepare for successful pathways. We have a strong history of collaborative planning with post-school service support and government agencies for students with high support needs.
Samantha Roestenburg l Head of Special Education Services l Centre for Diverse Learning l T 4050 3074 l E email@example.com